In our Parish, per direction from the Archdiocese of Chicago, we will be adhering to the following guidelines:
All Priests, Deacons, Altar Servers and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion must wash their hands before Mass begins and use an alcohol based anti-bacterial solution before and after distributing Holy Communion.
- Discern how to do this to best maintain the reverence of the Mass.
- Ensure all vessels used at Mass, once purified, are thoroughly washed with soap and hot water after each use.
During all Masses and liturgies:
- Refrain from physical contact during the Sign of Peace (note: the Sign of Peace can be exchanged without physical contact)
- Refrain from distribution of Holy Communion to the faithful via the chalice (please consider options for any parishioners with celiac disease or sensitivity)
- Given the frequency of direct contact with saliva in the distribution of Holy Communion on the tongue, every consideration should be given by each individual to receive Holy Communion reverently in open hands for the time being.
- Refrain from holding hands during the Lord’s Prayer.
- Refrain from using Holy Water fonts.
Assure the faithful that if they are sick or are experiencing symptoms of sickness, they are not obliged to attend Mass, and even that out of charity they ought not to attend.
- Explain when the Church allows for you to miss Mass – Catechism 2181 allows for serious reasons like illness.
- Make parish or bulletin announcements encouraging best health practices.
In our School, in addition to educating our Eagles using age appropriate lessons, we are adhering to the following guidelines from the Archdiocese of Chicago:
Please note that all school staff have received the following recommended preventive actions, based on CDC guidance, to help protect your child(ren) and others from this virus and all illnesses:
- Wash your hands regularly with warm or hot soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work, or school, especially when someone is ill.
- Stay home when you are sick. Stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness. When at home, if possible, try to distance yourself from people who are sick.
- Contact your health care provider immediately if anyone in your home experiences any of the following symptoms: severe cough; rapid noisy, painful, or other difficult breathing; and dehydration.
- We ask that you notify our school if anyone in your home has any Coronavirus (COVID-19) or influenza symptoms. COVID-19 related student absences will be excused. We will work with affected students’ families in providing schoolwork and alternate education arrangements (e.g. elearning) to ensure the continuity of your child’s education to the best of our ability.
All principals and teachers are being asked to:
- Provide plenty of hand sanitizer, cleaning wipes and tissues through their offices and classrooms.
- Clean and disinfect transmission points (doorknobs, light switches, desks, tables, hand railings, water fountains, etc.) regularly throughout the day.
- Ensure school maintenance staff has additional resources needed to increase sanitation/cleaning activities.